More than 100 ministers and heads of state attend a United Nations meeting on the global hunger crisis. Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina tables a five-pronged set of recommendations to raise a hunger-free world.
The Minister of State with responsibility for Overseas Development has delivered the keynote address at a special meeting to tackle the world's hunger crisis.
- Bangldesh News
- RTÉ (Image)
- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina rejects demands by Islamists for a new anti-blasphemy law to punish those who defame Islam and Prophet Muhammad.
- The Prime Minister of India Manmohan Singh and the Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina sign an accord ending four decades of disputes over the borders of India and Bangladesh.
- ATN Bangla television reports that Bangladeshi police have arrested former Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina on charges of extorting money from a businessman.
- A Dhaka court sentences 19 people to death, including two former ministers, and sentences Bangladesh Nationalist Party acting chairman Tarique Rahman to life imprisonment over a 2004 attack on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
- The government of Myanmar announces that it has reached a repatriation agreement with the United Nations regarding Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh, saying it will assure that refugees "can return voluntarily in safety and dignity." Members of the UNHCR and the UNDP will be allowed to work in Rakhine State to monitor the process.