Died in 2009
The state funeral in Libreville of former President of Gabon Omar Bongo is attended by dignitaries from 40 nations.
French President NicolasSarkozy and a dozen heads of state from around Africa gatheredin Gabon on Tuesday to mark the death of President Omar Bongoafter more than four decades in power.
- Libyan leader Muammar al-Gaddafi reaches 41 years in power; there are less than 24 months left until he is scheduled to become Africa's longest serving ruler, overtaking former Gabonese President Omar Bongo who died in 2009.
- Gabonese President Omar Bongo dies of a heart attack at age 73.
- 10,000 Gabonese watch the body of President Omar Bongo arrive back home from Spain.
- Large explosions and gunfire are reported in the Gabonese capital Libreville as security forces clash with supporters of opposition presidential candidate Jean Ping protesting the election results indicating a narrow victory by President Ali Bongo Ondimba.
- At least 45 people drown and 60 are missing after a boat carrying Nigerian migrants capsizes and sinks off shore from Libreville, Gabon.