U.S. Democrat John Dingell of Michigan becomes the House of Representatives' longest-serving member.
- U.S. Representative John Conyers (D-Mich.) steps down amid allegations of sexual harassment.
- Mary Jo Kilroy wins the final outstanding United States House of Representatives seat in the 2008 general elections by capturing the 15th congressional district of Ohio. This translates to an overall gain of 21 seats for the Democratic Party in the House.
- Iraq War: A report by the U.S. Defense Department's inspector general has found the The Pentagon "purposely manipulated" pre-war intelligence. Senator Carl Levin, D-MI, as chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee has called the report "very damning" and said of its results, "highly disturbing".
- A special election for Ohio's 12th congressional district is held following the resignation of Republican Representative Pat Tiberi. The Republican candidate is Troy Balderson and the Democratic candidate is Danny O'Connor.
- A student shoots his parents dead in a dorm at Central Michigan University in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, United States.