Thirty prisoners burn down and escape their jail in Vanuatu. Two Members of Parliament are later arrested for harboring some of the fugitives.
- Channel NewsAsia
- Radio Australia
- Vanuatu plans another evacuation from Ambae Island due to volcanic activity from Manaro Voui.
- A 7.0 magnitude undersea earthquake strikes east of New Caledonia's Loyalty Islands in the South Pacific Ocean. Tsunami warnings for New Caledonia and Vanuatu are cancelled. There are no immediate reports of damage.
- Vanuatu begins evacuating 11,000 islanders from the island of Ambae because of the erupting volcano Manaro Voui which pollutes the water.
- More than 134,000 people on the island of Bali, Indonesia, have been taken to shelters as the Mount Agung volcano continues to release smoke. The alert level for an eruption has been raised to the second highest level, 4. In addition, the entire population of Vanuatu's Aoba Island, also at alert level 4, is being moved from the path of the increasingly active Lombenben volcano.
- Baldwin Lonsdale, the President of Vanuatu, dies suddenly of a heart attack at age 67. Parliament Speaker Esmon Saimon takes his post as acting president.