As snowstorms continue to worsen in China, Premier Wen Jiabao offers an apology to the public while visiting Changsha train station in Hunan as millions are stranded in train stations waiting to go home during Chinese New Year.
- A man plows his car into a crowd of people at a busy square in Hengyang, Hunan, China, before exiting his vehicle and stabbing bystanders. Eleven people are killed and 44 others are injured. The attacker was detained and identified by police as a convicted drug dealer and thief, who said that "he wanted to take revenge on society".
- At least 38 people are dead after a bus collides with a van carrying flammable liquids in China's Hunan province.
- Five road accidents in two days claims the lives of at least 58 people in China before Chinese New Year.
- "The New York Times" claims that Chinese hackers have broken into their computers and stolen passwords of high-profile members and reporters over the past four months, around the same time the paper began an investigation involving wealth accumulation by relatives of Premier Wen Jiabao.
- Asian and European leaders meet at the Ninth Asia-Europe Meeting in Vientiane, Laos to discuss issues including the current financial crisis. 51 foreign leaders are expected to attend including premier of China Wen Jiabao and President of Laos Choummaly Sayasone.