Politics of Vanuatu
The government of Vanuatu declares a state of emergency in Port Vila following ethnic clashes.
- AP via Washington Post
- Radio New Zealand
- The government of the island nation of Vanuatu declares a state of emergency for Shefa Province containing the capital Port Vila as authorities struggle to assess the full impact of the category 5 storm. Once assessments of the damage have been done in other provinces, authorities are likely to widen the declared area in a state of emergency.
- The 41st annual Pacific Islands Forum Leaders Summit opens in Port Vila, Vanuatu.
- Vanuatu is struck by an earthquake of 7.2 magnitude southeast of its capital Port Vila.
- A state of emergency is declared in New South Wales, Australia, as a bushfire continues to burn out of control. More than 500 personnel from the New South Wales Rural Fire Service, Fire and Rescue NSW and the Australian Defence Force are tackling the bushfire, which has torn through the Holsworthy Barracks and threatens the suburbs of Sydney.
- Vanuatu plans another evacuation from Ambae Island due to volcanic activity from Manaro Voui.