- The V150, a modified TGV train, breaks the land speed record for railed vehicles on the new Paris-Strasbourg LGV Est line with 574.8 km-h (357.2 mph).
- The French railway company SNCF announces prototypes for driverless passenger and freight trains by 2023.
- Femen co-founder and activist Oksana Shachko is found dead in her Paris apartment in an apparent suicide. France granted her political refugee status in 2013.
- The Senate of France approves a bill to reform the SNCF railway company. The French state writes off EUR35 billion of SNCF's EUR47 billion debt, but remains the sole owner of the joint-stock company with two subsidiaries: operator SNCF Mobility and infrastructure manager SNCF Network.
- One person is killed and four wounded in a knife attack in Paris, France. The attacker is killed by police.